Hill of Crosses
More than 180 thousand crosses in one place – on a single hill. The Hill of Crosses, located in Northern Lithuania, is an historical and architectural monument attracting people with its peace, spirituality, authenticity and sacred nature. Its exact origins are unknown, but it is thought that the first crosses were placed on the former Jurgaičiai or Domantai hill fort after the 1831 Uprising.
Over the centuries, not only crosses, but giant crucifixes, carvings of Lithuanian patriots, statues of the Virgin Mary and thousands of tiny effigies and rosaries have been brought here by the Catholic pilgrims. On 7th September, 1993, Pope John Paul II visited the Hill of Crosses, declaring it a place for hope, peace, love and sacrifice. In 2000, a Franciscan hermitage was opened nearby.
On a way back to Riga we will drive via Jelgava town which is the fourth largest town in Latvia.
This tour will give you a perfect chance to visit one of the most popular sights of Lithuania, border of which is just in 1 hour drive from Riga.
This tour is covered by a standard car or a 9seat van to keep the groups small.
Opportunity to expand the tour by adding Rundale Palace (must be confirmed in advance).
Price: from EUR 55 per person (depends on size of the group)
Included: Hotel pick up/drop off, transportation and a tour guide
Duration: 5-6 hours, including time for transfer.