This is a unique opportunity to visit Ligatne top-secret nuclear bunker. The bunker remains almost unchanged since the Soviet era only became publicly known in 2003, twelve years after Latvia regained independence. This 2,000-square metre facility buried deep under Latvian soil was known simply as “The Pension”. It would have provided a shelter in case of a nuclear attack from the ‘evil’ capitalist western countries, an escape for the leading members of the KGB and the Soviet government of Latvia.
– The tour will commence at the city centre of Riga as we will drive down the second longest street – Brivibas street which is approximately 10 km long and passes by the biggest shopping centre in Latvia.
– On the way to Sigulda you will see why Latvia is a country of forests.
– We will drive through Sigulda city and have stops at the Sigulda Castle ruins, Sigulda New Castle, Walking-stick square and Bobsleigh and Luge track Sigulda.
-The main attraction of the day – Ligatne Nuclear bunker (with a cover name “Vacation Hotel”) was one of the most strategically important places in Soviet Latvia in case of a nuclear war, where all authentic underground furnishings have been retained!
What you will see there:
– plans and projections in regard to what would happen if because of a war, dams of all hydropower stations were destroyed, which territories would be under water and how that would affect largest towns;
– autonomous electrical station with diesel generators and fuel reservoirs;
– conditioning equipment for air purification;
– water supply and sewerage equipment which operates in accordance with submarine principle;
– special telecommunication unit that secured direct communication with Moscow Kremlin and autonomous communication with the key services in the entire country;
– books by Marx, Lenin, Brezhnev and other Soviet times politicians;
– unique map with historic names of collective farms;
– materials of the XXII Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union;
– canteen with a typical Soviet menu;
– Various Soviet times memorabilia, household and daily items.
Price from EUR 45 per person.
Included: transfers, guide, entrance tickets to Soviet Nuclear bunker, entrance tickets to Bobsleigh and Luge track Sigulda, hotel pickup and drop off.
Duration: 5-6 hours, including time for transfer.